Through all my years of being shocked, I somehow came to the understanding that AC Alternating Current hurts more than DC Direct Current. Then somebody, which I don’t remember who, told me that the body has capacitive properties and lets the AC electricity through better. I don’t know how true that statement is, but from experience it somehow makes sense. If you hold on to a 50V DC voltage with dry hands, you won’t feel it as I experienced. But as soon as you switch the same voltage on and off at high speeds, such as 60Hz, it will shock you badly.